Re: Warning:unable to open an initial console

Hi Patrick,
On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 08:23:33AM -0800, Patrick Kirchner wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Guido.  I tried that root.tar.gz package you described.  For the dhcp kernel file I used linuxrc, which I believe was correct?, but I ended up getting a kernel panic error.
> In the meantime I grabbed base2_2.2.tgz from somewhere that I can't remember now and after booting one of Glaurung's precompiled R5000 O2 kernels, I got past the "unable to open intial console" until the unconfigured.sh script shut me down.  I edited the unconfigured.sh script to just run /bin/bash and finally got a command prompt!!!
Oh...we're talking about an O2 here - then linuxrc and the tftpboot
images are of little use since there's no O2 support in it, the
root.tar.gz should work anyways.

> I was then able to partition the blank hard drive, formatted the file system, extracted the base2_2.2.tgz to create the root filesystem and made one partition a swap file, but now I'm at a bit of a loss.
> Would the next logical step be to install a boot loader to boot Glaurung's kernel from the hard drive instead of from TFTP?
> Would you suggest arcboot for the boot loader?  Or should I use Yamon?
Both yamon and arcboot need some adjustemnts to boot O2 kernels - arcboot
is SGI centric so adding O2 support shouldn't be hard. Can't you just
use dvhtool to put the kernel into the volume header as described on:
 http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/linux-mips/indy-boot/indy-hd-boot-micro-howto.html
This should work for the O2 as well.
Regards,
 -- Guido