Re: Kernel update for Debian 3.0/mips

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:47:44PM +0100, Karsten Merker wrote:
> BTW, we seem to have a version problem again. From your changelog:
Not at all.

>  * actually 2.4.19-0.020911.2 recompiled for woody (rediffed against
>     kernel-source-2.4.19-4)
>
> It looks like kernel-source-2.4.19-4 is not available any more in the
Then use -5. The only reject is in README.Debian - something we can
cope with :)

> archive and 3.0r1 does not even seem to include kernel-source-2.4.19
> at all - at least it is not listed when I search for it on
> packages.debian.org in "stable". A currrent mipsel Packages.gz from
As far as I know i386 has to update it's kernel images due to the
tf,nt security problem.

> ftp.debian.org lists the only occurance of "kernel-source-2.4.19"
> as "Recommends: kernel-source-2.4.19" in kernel-patch-2.4.19-mips.
> There is a kernel-source-2.4.19-0woody.3 in the archive, but the patch
> does not apply cleanly against it.
That's exactly the reason why our kernel-patch packages don't depend on
but merely recommend the kernel-source-package.  Given the size of the
mips diff, we can't expect it to apply against random
kernel-source-packages - something which is very unlikely to change in
the future. Another possibility would be to diff against the vanilla
source from kernel.org - something I actually don't like to do since we
then depend on sources from outside the distribution.
Regards,
 -- Guido