libgnome32 install failure

I'm installing Debian-mips for the fisrt time.  My MIPS machine is
a R4600 Indy.

libgnome32 fails to install durring the install process.
libgnomeui32 also fails, but I believe this is a direct consequence
of the above error.

I ran tasksel and selscted only the X11 and desktop environment tasks.
I did not attempt to muck around with dselect.

Also, after thr install, I get many many screen-fulls of kernel debug
info.  My best guess is this is relaed to loading of kernel modules,
probably fat, msdos, or vfat, as these are the only non-standard
modules I told the installer to load.  The reboot after the base install
went flawlessly.

Unfortunately, I'm one connector short of being able to link serial ports with
my x86 Debian machine.

Can anyone point me to good documntation for the SGI firmware and the
disk partitioning scheme, particularly as they relate to the boot process?
Are there any tools to look at the volme header filesystem that the
firmware reads the kernel off of?  Can it be mounted like another
filesystem?

Thanks,
Karl

--------
Karl Alexander Magdsick <karlm@mit.edu>
AIM: kamagdsick    phone: 617-5-ROMANCE

"Rarely is the question asked: is our children learning?"
-- George W. Bush Sr.