Hi and installation success on indy r5k

Hi everyone
I am new here

I always wanted to have Indy since I was a kid in high school but it was
always too expensive.
Until now.
So I got one off eBay, and then beefed it up a little:
Indy R5000 180MHz, 512KB SC
256MB RAM
9GB IBM SCSI hard disk
Indy 8-bit graphics (yeah, I have to buy 24 bit one :))

I have successfully installed woody 3.0.19  from tftpboot.img
I was amazed how easy it was. (Compared to installing debian on
Sparcstation IPC a year ago.)

Problems I encountered (all known bugs AFAIK):
- update-menus crashes, recompiling it with -static helped
- sometimes gnome-session or gnome-panel crashes (but I dont feel like
recompiling gnome)
- most of pixmaps are corrupted in gnome, gtk apps and also in icewm
- palette is not restored properly when leaving X (both in X that comes
with debian (4.1.something ?) and 4.2 I compiled from source

XFree86 contains compiled in drivers for all PC graphics cards and that
adds lots of bloat. Just by removing them (and input drivers except
mouse)  I slimmed XFree86 from 10 to 6 MB. Thats 4MB more for
applications (and once I had computer with 64KB of memory)!

here is my host.def
#define BuildServersOnly                YES
#define XF86CardDrivers                 newport
#define XInputDrivers		        mouse void
#define LinuxDistribution               LinuxDebian
#define BuildXF86DRI                    YES
#define DoLoadableServer                NO
#define XFree86Devel	                YES
#define MakeDllModules		        YES
#define XF86Server		        YES
#define XnestServer		        NO
#define XVirtualFramebufferServer	NO
#define XprtServer                      NO
#define XF86VgaHw		        NO
#define XF1Bpp			        NO
#define XF4Bpp			        NO
#define BuildScreenSaverExt 	        NO
#define BuildPexExt		        NO
#define BuildXinerama		        NO
#define BuildGlxExt                     YES

I suppose more stuff can be disabled to make it even smaller.

I am now converting sgi hardware docs from postscript to PDF and I will
read them and then try to help.
There are couple of ex-SGI guys at my workplace, I'll track them and
I'll extract their brain contents somehow (it reminds me of Starship
Troopers).

--
Dominik Behr