Re: Install report: Woody on a SGI Indy R5000

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 11:54:20AM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
>     - Console drops some characters when scrolling fast. This is
>       AFAIK a kernel issue and should at least mentioned in the
>       install manual (more to this point below).

Kernel issue - Tried to fix it once but the serial driver is in
more than one way broken.

>     - Manual mentions /tmp as a recommended mount point but not /boot,
>       Installer mentions /boot but not /tmp. Both the Manual and the
>       installer should be expanded WRT.

I guess when using arcboot we will have a serious problem having
/boot as a different fs then / because of the symlinks. /vmlinux points
to a different fs.

> Select Installation Server:
>     - Installer complains about missing Ext3 journal on loop(7,0)
> 	when downloading.

This sounds strange - ext3 in a loop - This might also be a kernel
thing. Ext3 has higher priority than ext2 - Which means even an ext2
filesystem will be tried as ext3 before. Might this be the issue ?

>     - Warning: "loading /lib/modules/2.4.16/kernel/fs/vfat/vfat.o
>       will taint the kernel: no license."

Kernel issue - Nobody tagged vfat as GPL oder BSD in the kernel source.

> Installing base system:
>     - The Installer does not re-use the input from "Select Installation
>       Server" as default. Doing so would be more convenient.

There is more than one wishlist bug open IIRC.

> Login:
>     - Message "You may now login at the login prompt", "Ok" results in
>       this string on the serial console:
>
> -----
> ðüxàxxþxàøxøxàøxàxxþxþ
> -----

This i guess is a different baud rate. Try to delete /etc/ioctl.save
and reboot. The userspace switches to a different baud rate on different
occasions. One of the problems might be that the inittab contains a
fixed baut rate and there is no way to determin which baud rate the user
gave the kernel on startup. This whole issue is really difficult to
solve. Anyway - 9600 is the default serial console baud rate on nearly
any equipment - Maybe we should mention to use this on installation
and how to switch later.

> This crash was not reproducible for me. But another is, starting up
> xdm causes instantly a kernel crash (it seems to loop in an exception
> handler). I stopped the log after putting out 400k, the first lines
> are appended below.

> -----
> Data bus error, epc == 8815f984, ra == 880c3a68
> Oops in traps.c:default_be_board_handler, line 442:
> $0 : 00000000 80000000 7fff73d8 7fff73d8 7fff53d8 80090000 00002000 881c6b40
> $8 : 00000000 00090000 00000000 00000003 000000b0 00002000 881c6b40 7fff53d8

This looks like the X Server trying to touch the Framebuffer which
doesnt seem to work - You have booted on serial console and tried
to start X ?

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium