lame X question

ok this has been bugging me. why cant i use my indy/debian as a remote client
to my i386/debian?

i tried xhost +<machine name> and setting DISPLAY etc. i read the 'remote X
apps mini-howto' and played around with magic cookies. no joy. i still get err
111 when trying to run remote apps. however, if i use ssh -X to turn on X
forwarding it works fine albeit with some overhead.

in the howto it mentions that debian systems often start X in some sort of
safe mode (i assume this means with the -nolisten option) and it says to look
at /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc which of course doesnt exist. i poked around the
/etc/X11 directories for a while but didnt find what i was looking for. i
tried the debian documentation but again no joy.

i know this isnt strictly the correct list but it does involve debian/mips
because i want to run a i386 browser on my indy desktop.

TIA

GREG