Re: installing woody on Indy R5000-ip22

> My Indy R5k system has a XZ graphics system which is not supported by
> linux. So, I had to install from a serial console.

Actually, I wasn't ever sure which graphics card I had.  How can I tell?  I have KDE running now though.  However, Gnome segfaults when logging in via GDM.  I like that about gdm--you can select another w.mgr. if your default is broken.  (Assuming an alternative is installed, of course.)  I really happy with how it turned out.  A couple questions and comments.

My hardware as best I know it:
Indy R5000-ip22, 180 Mhz with a 1.7 GB drive and a floptical drive.
128 MB RAM and an A2 audio processor.
My monitor is GDM-20D11 by Sony and the 8-bit Newport graphics driver works.

What kind of larger SCSI drive could I upgrade to?  I saw somewhere that heat was an issue regarding modern RPMs and keeping below 7200 RPM, is that still true?

Why is the bootp() section of installing so different for everyone?  Could we somehow make this more clear in the docs--I spent 5 hours playing with that and then finished the install in 3 more hours, (which was mostly due to processor speed).

Also, maybe a little more explanation as to why swap space should be added after the first Linux partition and how to gauge how much 100 cylinders in MB, approximately.  Now, I have 28 MB for my swap partition instead of 256-512 MB.  Oh, well.  Still it is all pretty cool.

Brian