Re: Maxine status?

Hi,

[debbootstrap triggering a kernel bug on Personal DECstations]

>We had tried to find the program triggering the bug by putting some
>debug output into programs called from inittab and it seems that it
>is the last step in initab (dbootstrap, the "real" installer program),
>that causes the kernel to hang. You could try filling it with debug
>output to find the exact point where the crash occurs.

That sounds like a lot of time to invest. I hope to do that on the
weekend, though.

>It is btw. a real crash - if you boot with init=/bin/sh, configure the
>network and manually single-step through inittab, you can see that
>pinging the box works, but in the moment you start dbootstrap, there
>are no replies to pings anymore, so the kernel is really dead at that
>point of time.

Yuck. I hate those kind of errors.

>The boot-floppies cvs tree (including dbootstrap) is available by
>
>cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/debian-boot co boot-floppies

Doesn't seem to like me:

arbas:/spare/ut/mips-cvs> cvs -d pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/debian-boot co boot-floppies
cvs.debian.org: Connection refused
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

arbas:/spare/ut/mips-cvs> cvs --version

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.7 (client/server)

Shouldn't be too old, so what's wrong?

TIA,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Can't Stand Losing (The Sewergrooves)