Re: cdrom boot for sgi

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 05:46:27PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Setting the SystemPartition to
> scsi(0)cdrom(6)rdisk(0)partition(8) and typeing "ls" shows the
> only file "linux" which is the tftpboot.img in the usual boot-floppies
> directory.
>
> Booting the file with "linux" on the prompt gives an:
>
> >> setenv SystemPartition scsi(0)cdrom(6)rdisk(0)partition(8)
> >> ls
> scsi(0)cdrom(6)rdisk(0)partition(8)/:
> linux
> >> linux
> 2027520error on vh read
>
> Cannot load scsi(0)cdrom(6)rdisk(0)partition(8)/linux
> Error reading text section: start 0x880020000, size 0x1ef000.
> Unable to execute linux

Ok - This really seems to be a read error - I just retried with
a created CD-RW (Once i got a working Blank CD-RW media and a
CD-Rom capable of reading CD-RWs - Mine were to old) and it works
without a problem. The kernel comes up as expected and i tried
to start installing - A little shock appeared as it seems the
default kernel does not include scsi cdrom support.

It might be necessary to set the "retry" count in the device section
to something >0 - I dont know if this has any effect on this.

So - we will have booting iso cdroms for debian-mips/sgi - Now we
have to think about teaching arcboot to read an iso9660 filesystem
or to just put the different IPx version kernels+ram-disks into the
volume header.

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium