Re: Install report: Woody on a SGI Indy R5000

Florian Lohoff wrote:
[snip]
> >     - Manual mentions /tmp as a recommended mount point but not /boot,
> >       Installer mentions /boot but not /tmp. Both the Manual and the
> >       installer should be expanded WRT.
>
> I guess when using arcboot we will have a serious problem having
> /boot as a different fs then / because of the symlinks. /vmlinux points
> to a different fs.

Never heard of arcboot. Is this something similiar to SGI's sash?

[snip]
> > Select Installation Server:
> >     - Installer complains about missing Ext3 journal on loop(7,0)
> > 	when downloading.
>
> This sounds strange - ext3 in a loop - This might also be a kernel
> thing. Ext3 has higher priority than ext2 - Which means even an ext2
> filesystem will be tried as ext3 before. Might this be the issue ?

Possibly, I don't know about the inner workings of the installer.
Maybe the ramdisk is 'ext2' and mount tries 'auto'.

[snip]
> > Installing base system:
> >     - The Installer does not re-use the input from "Select Installation
> >       Server" as default. Doing so would be more convenient.
>
> There is more than one wishlist bug open IIRC.

I haven't looked into the BTS yet. Of course I'll do so before I file
bug reports.

[snip]
> > -----
> > ðüxàxxþxàøxøxàøxàxxþxþ
> > -----
>
> This i guess is a different baud rate. Try to delete /etc/ioctl.save
> and reboot. The userspace switches to a different baud rate on different
> occasions. One of the problems might be that the inittab contains a
> fixed baut rate and there is no way to determin which baud rate the user
> gave the kernel on startup. This whole issue is really difficult to
> solve.

ths@iris14:~$ dmesg |grep baud
Console: ttyS0 (Zilog8530), 38400 baud

Should work quite well. :-)

[snip]
> > This crash was not reproducible for me. But another is, starting up
> > xdm causes instantly a kernel crash (it seems to loop in an exception
> > handler). I stopped the log after putting out 400k, the first lines
> > are appended below.
>
> > -----
> > Data bus error, epc == 8815f984, ra == 880c3a68
> > Oops in traps.c:default_be_board_handler, line 442:
> > $0 : 00000000 80000000 7fff73d8 7fff73d8 7fff53d8 80090000 00002000 881c6b40
> > $8 : 00000000 00090000 00000000 00000003 000000b0 00002000 881c6b40 7fff53d8
>
> This looks like the X Server trying to touch the Framebuffer which
> doesnt seem to work - You have booted on serial console and tried
> to start X ?

*Argh*
Yes, that's the reason. IMHO it's unfortunate to not initialize the
framebuffer when a serial console is used. It has the effect of

  a) half-functional (ARCS-Console?) vc's when Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard
     is attached which write on the screen over and over without
     clearing any pixel.

  b) a X which crashes the machine on starting, which seems to cause
     some initialization of the framebuffer at this time (the SGI
     Penguin appears on the screen)

  c) no possibility to direct the console output to a remote machine
     which makes it hard to investigate crashes where framebuffer/X
     is involved. :-)

At least starting X via startx works now, xdm is not yet tested.
A crazy attempt to do 3D and run 'gears' from the mesademos ends
in a signal 11 of the xserver - running it via

startx -- -depth 8

despite it is a 24bit capable XL graphics, the xserver say otherwise:

-----
(II) FBDev: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
(II) ATI: ATI driver (version 6.3.6) for chipsets: ati
(II) R128: Driver for ATI Rage 128 chipsets: ATI Rage 128 RE (PCI),
        ATI Rage 128 RF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RG (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RK (PCI),
        ATI Rage 128 RL (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Pro PD (PCI),
        ATI Rage 128 Pro PF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Pro PP (PCI),
        ATI Rage 128 Pro PR (PCI), ATI Rage 128 Mobility LE (PCI),
        ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Mobility MF (AGP),
        ATI Rage 128 Mobility ML (AGP)
(II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets: ATI Radeon QD (AGP),
        ATI Radeon QE (AGP), ATI Radeon QF (AGP), ATI Radeon QG (AGP),
        ATI Radeon VE (AGP)
(II) Newport: driver for Newport Graphics Card: XL
(II) v4l driver for Video4Linux
(EE) Newport(0): Given depth (24) is not supported by Newport driver
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
-----

Thiemo