Re: Installation of Debian on R5K Indy

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 06:17:56AM -0600, Trey Shewmake wrote:

> First thing I noticed with both installations - on this R5k Indy, you *must*
> unset the netaddr environment variable in the PROM, or it will not boot
> using DHCP and bootp(). Second, the only way I could get the R5k to boot

This is true for all I2 and Indy i have around.

> from the image was with "boot -f bootp()tftpboot.img" - just typing "boot -f
> bootp()" would not work, as the PROM returned an error.

As i wrote in an earlier mail this only works when you still have the
"sash" in your VolumeHeader and all ENV vars correctly pointing to it.

The correct way would be:

bootp():tftpboot.img

This works on all machines i have around and does not use sash.

> I've noticed the documentation for an Indy install is scattered widely
> across the 'net - unless anyone objects, I'll probably be putting together a
> more comprehensive HOWTO, and submitting it to the list for fine-tuning.  I
> also have an R4600 here, and will be attempting to install on it later in
> the week, so that the HOWTO will be more complete, and less specific to the
> R5k system.

This sounds quiet good - Also we should include example "bootptab"
"dhcpd.conf" snippets. We should describe the bugs we saw with
netbooting (DF bit set aka pmtu_discovery) the ELF vs. ECOFF stuff.

If there is any documentation which is worth to be mentioned which
i havent listed on http://www.debian.org/ports/mips let me know and i will
add those links.

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium