Illegal Instruction with 2.4.2 and 2.4.3

I have been able to natively build kernels 2.4.0,2,3,4,5 on an Indy with
without the CD-ROM support. I have only been able to boot 2.4.2 and 2.4.3.
Previously, I was running 2.4.0-test9. 2.4.4 and 5 have ext2_fs inode
problems. 2.4.0 hangs at cleaning the /tmp directory.

Extracting tar files causes an illegal instruction on 2.4.2 and 3.  Is
there a patch for this.  Furthermore, are there patches available for all
the various kernel versions and how do I get them for each version of the
kernel.  Finally, I have read some email on stress tests.  Are those
publicly available?

thank you for your time,
john