Re: first packages for mipsel

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 01:09:58PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Hi,
> i just uploaded glibc 2.2.2 and db2 for debian-mipsel to incoming ...

BTW: This glibc uses "sysmips" for locking purposes - This means
that this lib would only work on "fixed" 2.4 kernels on ll/sc capable
machines. Its the same as for mips.

There are multiple solutions to this problem:

- ll/sc emulation in the kernel
  Implementing an ll/sc emulation into the fast path of the illegal instruction
  handler and compile the glibc with ll/sc support.

- repair sysmips
  Sysmips is essentially broken - My fix i have sent to the linux-mips list
  is only a workaround but not a fix. Also there is currentl NO ISA I support
  in the sysmips implementation. I hope to get around to build a proper
  fix this weekend in assembly.

Probably we will do both - An even better solution would be to let the glibc
detect the ISA level or the existance of ll/sc in userspace and replace _test_and_set
with one or the other primitiv - Using sysmips on R3000 or ll/sc less systems.

Flo