Indy PROM boot command?

Hello,

I've been lurking and for some weeks, and finally decided to dive in and
install Linux on an Indy.

I've tried this with both a 180MHz R5000 and a 200MHz R4400. They both
have IRIX 6.2 at present.

I have been using vmlinux-2.4.0.ecoff from ftp.rfc822.org as a kernel, and
an Intel debian system as the dhcp/tftp/nfs server. The setup pretty much
follows the suggested procedures at http://staf.digibel.org/.

At the Indy PROM prompt, a command such as:

>> boot -f bootp()vmlinux-2.4.0.ecoff init=/bin/bash
nfsroot=192.168.0.1:/indy

unfortunately ends with the message:

Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream

Looking at the nfsroot howto, I tried adding a "root=" parameter,
specifically root=/dev/nfs as suggested. This leads to the message:

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

What might I be missing here?

Thanks,

Steve Worotynec