Bus Error in update-menus

After finishing the debian install (which went very smoothly, for a network
install over dialup - nice work, guys), I was attempting to install the
x-window-system package, and am having the same error I had before, with an
error message of "Bus Error          update-menus".  If I run update-menus
manually, the only response is "Bus Error".

Running the program through gdb gives:

Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
0x2acfdc50 in strcmp () from /lib/libc.so.6

I noticed while digging through the mailing list archive that this had been
mentioned earlier this year, but I couldn't find a resolution - does anyone
have any tips?

Thanks.

-Yert