Re: debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/devel/binutils-mipsel-linux.deb,gcc-mipsel-linux.deb, etc.

Pete,

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Pete Popov wrote:

> Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:
> > The reason why I ask is that I've spent a lot of time trying to build a gcc
> > 3.0 / glibc 2.2.3 mipsel cross-toolchain and I am still not done.  But,
> > building toolchains isn't what I want to spend my time doing.  I think there
> > must be more people like me that just want to cross-build their apps.  Will
> > every one of us spend time building our own toolchains?  Seems like a waste
> > of time.  The learning curve is steep enough, not to mention the iteration
> > time wasted in mistakes.

> > In the past I've simply used toolchains built by other people.  I would like
> > to continue this tradition.  :-)

> So why not download the MontaVista MIPS Journeyman CD and install the
> cross toolchain? All of the mvista packages are cross built and the
> cross toolchain is quite up to date. The Journeyman CD includes the
> native toolchain as well, for those who insist on natively building
> packages.  Using the cross tools you can rebuild the mvista packages
> easily from the source rpms.  Doing that on a 1.2G x86 cpu sure beats an
> old 100MHz 4400.

> I'm not sure why so many people are trying to build their own cross
> toolchain when someone else has already done it.

The fact that you say 'source rpms' here seems to be a strong hint why.  RPMs
aren't the most useful thing in the world to those using Debian as their
development platform, as I would suspect many of those on the debian-mips
mailing list are doing.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer