Re: [long] Lance on DS5k/200

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> Of course. I wouldn't even *try* to do sth other. In fact, I'm looking
> around for various specs of various implementations (as seen from
> the bus) of the LANCE chip to see if I could manage the job to
> unify them all together:

 Yep, that would really be desireable, but there are quirks such as
third-party DMA controllers that must be taken into account when writing
generic chip support functions.  In the DECstation's case the DMA
controller is the I/O ASIC.

 It's probably doable by writing a generic backend and various interfaces
(see e.g. the 8390 driver), but much care must be taken.  And one must
work on the generic tree -- e.g. the Alan's one -- as otherwise changes
will be impossible to test by most of people.

> Well, I'll start off in merging in those two declance drivers. But

 Excellent.

> this will come no earlier that in two weeks or so. I'll first do
> the serial keyboard with dz.c.

 Excellent.

> PS: Looking at ~23 Am7990 and ~5 Z8530 drivers I think I should go to
>     *BSD :-) Who will ever attempt to clean up?

 Z8530 is on my to-do list.  Our driver really sucks: neither DMA (the I/O
ASIC again) nor sychronous mode, just basic asynchronous support.  I'm
going to look at LANCE one day, too, but it's lower on the list.