Re: New glibc2.2 packages and patches

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 11:39:05AM +0100, Christoph Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after I succeded in setting up a build environment (binutils-20001213,
> gcc-20001211 with libstdc++v2) for glibc2.2 on my Indy I managed to
> build my first packages.

Which glibc 2.2 are you using ?

> I uploaded shellutils and ncurses which were both missing in the
> archive.

Great

> So, what is the normal procedure when uploading with some
> mips-specific patches?
>
> - Send the patches to the packages maintainer (?)
>   I don't know if this is not to early, since we are using different
>   binutils and gcc.

Use the Bug Tracking System to send the patches so everybody
has the chance to access them ...

> - Using the same version number as main package or a NMU number (?)

When you apply patches be shure you note this in the changelog
and i would recommend using an NMU number

> - Diff uploads (?) There is no support for this in the archive

I wouldnt deal with sources as this is definitly a package maintainer
issue.

> The two packages I uploaded are have the normal version number and are
> signed by me, but I had to do some patching. I uploaded them because
> they are needed by other packages.
>
> I also tried to compile apt. I had to do some changes in the c++
> source code, because some standards changed (eg friend -> friend class)
> But apt-get crashes with a segmentation fault.

Same here ...

> I am now trying to build gdb-5 with the patches from ftp.linux.sgi.com
> to find the problem in apt.

I guess its more or less a problem in the c++ compiler i guess.

Flo