Re: Debian mips64?

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 01:15:12PM +0100, Michl Ladislav wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Florian Lohoff wrote:
>
> > Currently is another "toolchain squashing" season. I managed to
> > get a handful of glibc 2.2 based packages built and now i am stuck
> > in many areas - apt doesnt build c++ errors / linker errors.
> > util-linux fails with glibc header problems i am not able to fix myself
> > i guess (retrying with 2.1.96 today - glibc build takes some hours).
>
> well, thanks a lot for answer. is there any todo list? for now, is there
> any packages i should work on?

Any packages not in the repository - 99.999%

I suggest starting to create a chroot environment like i did
and install all the available glibc 2.2 packages in there (glibc, grep, sed ...)

dpkg-deb -x <package> <chrootpath>

is a good helper to get started and packages extracted - Once you
have things like glibc, dpkg, bash etc in there you can
continue with

dpkg --root <chrootpath> -i <package>

And the compiler/linkers i have as tarball ...

ftp.rfc822.org:/pub/local/debian-mips/devel/gcc-20001007.tar.gz
ftp.rfc822.org:/pub/local/debian-mips/devel/binutils-20001007.tar.gz

Just extract those to / in your chroot - Now you can start compiling
things in there - I heard of people putting an ssh/sshd into the
chroot to ssh into it (run ssh on a different port than 22 eg 2222
and do ssh -p 2222 <machinewithchroot>)

I am currently compiling in /tmp and getting the source outside
the chroot (glibc 2.0.6 system) with apt-get source <package>
and compile it in the chroot with dpkg-buildpackage

Try to compile the packages with the build-dependencies already
satisfied with glibc 2.2 stuff - Especially librarys as otherwise
you link programm foo against library bar which is linked against
glibc 2.0.6 and foo itself is linked against glibc 2.2 - This is
know to work (most of the time) but i am hesitating to do something
like this.

If you have packages which you think are correct - install them into
your chroot - try a bit if they dont segfault and if they are ok
simply upload them (sign changes with gpg --clearsign --armor <changes>
and use "dupload")

If you are really bored - Have a look at the gcc snapshot package
and probably use it to generate a "mipsgcc" package which
provides "cpp", "gcc" etc and is "Architecture: mips, mipsel". If doing
so, use the cvs 20001007/06 and apply the patch

ftp.rfc822.org:/pub/local/debian-mips/patches/gcc-mips-patch-1

I also think it has to be changed not to build shared libs
(--disable-shared)

As you can see - Lots of work - Ah before i forget - Come
to IRC - irc.openprojects.net channel #mipslinux - Most of the time
i am online there while awake :)

> ps: it's nice to see my favourite distribution running on mips platform.
> thanks.

:) I wouldnt use that piece of hardware if it wouldnt run Debian :)

Flo