Re: Aha!

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 04:11:51PM -0400, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> That's what I figured.  The problem is, the mips3 target is a 64-bit one,
> which may affect the mips port in general.  Since this port is in it's
> infancy (from my observation of packages available and condition of the
> toolchain), I'm wondering if it might be better off to start the mips64
> port now and go from there (at least on my end).  Once the mips1 ISA is
> better supported, then continuing the 32-bit mips port will be feasible,
> from a toolchain standpoint.

Mips64 is only interesting for the Kernel now. Ralf Baechle is
working on the Port for the O200 and Origin 2000 which need
the 64Bit Kernel with as much as 64GB Memory.

We have a lot more machines not needing 64Bit Kernel and not userspace.
The 64Bit kernel will also run 32Bit Applications so there first
will be debian-mips and debian-mipsel. And if anyone would like
to start a 64Bit Port for Userspace - Do it - I have no interest.

> > If you're interested in mips in general, the best book out there, in my
> > opinion, is 'See Mips Run' by Dominic Sweetman.
>
> That's pretty much what I gathered.  Is it good from a standpoint of
> understanding the ISAs and the differences in the MIPS family from an asm
> point of view?

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5201-669912
      "Write only memory - Oops. Time for my medication again ..."