Re: Curious as to the status of the MIPS port...

"Christopher C. Chimelis" <chris@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > "el" stands for "little endian", which means that there are two ports
> > for MIPS processors out there, DEC station are little endian and SGI
> > machines are big endian, iirc.
>
> Ah, ok...yeah, makes sense.  Are the little endian processors in the
> DECstations also 64-bit?

No, they have R3000-series CPUs which are 32-bit only.

The Jazz boxes are little-endian R4000-series, but they are also
32-bit machines.

> If so, I'm wondering if I can cross-compile from
> Alpha (which is also little-endian) or from a big endian MIPS.

You can cross compile from anything so long as there aren't bugs in
binutils preventing you from doing so :-)

> Once I get ahold of it, I'll know more.  I've been trying to talk my dad
> into giving me this machine for years and he's now coming around :-)  He
> knows nothing about the details of the hardware, so I'll have to wait to
> see the machine before knowing for sure it's an Indy and not a Challenge
> server or something...

The Challenge S is supposed to be essentially the same as the Indy and
therefore supported.

--
dhd@linuxcare.com, http://www.linuxcare.com/
Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.