Re: apt

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 03:54:18AM -0400, Jason Mesker wrote:
> I'm having a problem getting apt to work.  I have got it installed and
> all seems well but this is what I'm getting:
>
> [root@iris /tmp]# apt-get update
> Hit ftp://ftp.rfc822.org unstable/main Packages
> Get:1 ftp://ftp.rfc822.org unstable/main Release
> Ign ftp://ftp.rfc822.org unstable/main Release
> Hit ftp://ftp.rfc822.org unstable/non-free Packages
> Get:2 ftp://ftp.rfc822.org unstable/non-free Release
> Ign ftp://ftp.rfc822.org unstable/non-free Release
> Reading Package Lists... Error!
> E: Unable to write mmap - msync (22 Invalid argument)
> E: Problem opening
> /var/state/apt/lists/ftp.rfc822.org_pub_local_debian_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-mips_Packages
>
> E: Unable to write mmap - msync (22 Invalid argument)
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> [root@iris /tmp]#

Forget apt and the apt-getable areas - As long as you havent got all
dependencies fullfilled (Which is impossible right now due to missing
perl, libc, egcs, binutils etc ) apt-get will get REALLY annoying.

Get the debs from http/ftp://ftp.rfc822.org/pub/local/debian-mips
or from the uni-konstanz location and install it manually
with dpkg --force-depends -i

Be careful with base-files, passwd, shadow, login, pam etc - Dont
install them until you REALLY know what you are doing :)
Otherwise - You poor little machine wont boot anymore or
might reject logins.

BTW: I saw you are running 2.1.100 - This one is really old - I
hope to get the CVS up and running quite soon with 2.3.99pre6
for Indy/Indigo2 - Then i probably will make some kernels for
netbooting etc available somewhere for the ones
not used to building cross compilers and cross kernel compilation.

With some slight modifications 2.3.99pre6 should run but i havent
got a spare machine to do kernel development right now - I am waiting
for 1-2 Indys appearing on a desk near me :)

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-subject-2-change