Re: Aha!

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 08:49:38PM +0000, Pete Popov wrote:
> I think I just changed my mind about the mips ISA support :-) Currently,
> it appears that the Indys and Indigo2s are the "best" supported SGI
> systems. However, mips is much more than just SGI.  There are many
> companies using mips cores for building SOCs, and mips32 is one of the
> popular cores.  In the embedded market, mips has a very strong presence,
> and embedded linux is the future (please note that my opinion is highly
> biased in that regard).  So, I think it would be great to bring the
> toolchain up to date, including mips 1/2 support. There is some very cool
> mips hardware coming down the pipeline and, as I said, having an up to
> date mips isa 1 and 2 (as well as 3 and 4) support would be great.

Thats it - There are at least 200 different Mips Chips on the Market
each of them implementing one or the other ISA. To say
SGI will be Mips2 is wrong as there are also the SGI Indigo which
is a R3000 based machine (Currently unsupported).

I am personally working on Decstation 5000 which are mostly
R3000 based. I do have an Indigo2 R4400 an Indy R4600 and one R5000.

So i have Mips1, Mips2, and Mips4.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5201-669912
      "Write only memory - Oops. Time for my medication again ..."