Re: Indy, booting and EFS

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> I dont think you can boot the linux kernel directly. Probably
> you can put the kernel additionally into the volume header
> and load the kernel via sash

Not even that, I went ahead and did it, works fine w/o sash.
Just use dvhtool to load a kernel image in there and then run it from
the prom on boot.  You can tell the prom to do this by changing
'OSLoader' from 'sash' to 'linux' (or whatever you named your kernel,
has to be less than 8 characters I believe).

# dvhtool -v add vmlinux-2.2.14-r4x00-cvs-INDY.ecoff linux /dev/rdsk/dks0d2vh

prom> setenv OSLoader linux

What this means is that you don't need sash at all, and so you may be
able to install a linux kernel into your volume header w/o having to
resize it.  I was starting out so changed my volume header to be 10M
instead of 2M.

I did have an issue w/ vmlinux-2.4.0-test6-pre8.ecoff, it would load up
but then wouldn't start init for some reason.  The kernel above worked
fine though.  I do intend to compile my own before too long if possible.

So, instead of a replacement for sash it sounds like something that can
understand and modify the volume header would work, perhaps both would
be good even.  I'll see if I can find some time to look at the volume
header stuff and see if I can make heads or tails of it.

		Stephen