Re: donation?

[N.B., I do not subscribe to -mips yet; please follow-up to -devel]

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 10:30:51AM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 01:49:02PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I'd be willing to *become* one of the Debian MIPS folks for a box like
> > this.
> >
> > /me mumbles something about XFree86 4.0 on MIPS
>
> :) Mips is not the problem - The GFX Board is the Problem - The
> Indigo2 have mostly the "Impact" series of GFX Board which are OpenGL
> accelerated in Hardware - There are NO docs at all concerning these
> Boards so there is currently not much we can do to get an X Server
> on the Indigo2 - Probably there are some folks who could probably
> give out the SGI X Server Source with an NDA or at least
> give a contact person for dumb questions but i have no clue.

Well, in the spirit of honesty I must confess I've never been a device
driver hacker.  I was hoping to teach myself assembly using this machine,
however.

Anyway, while gravely disappointing, the box is not worthless, not even for
XFree86 development.  There is more to X than the X server, and there's no
reason to believe that we couldn't at least get the libraries and clients
going.

I remain interested in the machine, even with this caveat.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    The basic test of freedom is perhaps
Debian GNU/Linux                |    less in what we are free to do than in