Booting Linux-only Indy?

I've got an Indy.  I've got a second disk.  I've installed Hardhat, and am
planning to upgrade to the latest mips debian packages.  I'd like to make
the system a single disk (linux) system.

I was wondering if there is a way to boot Linux on the Indy using
only the Linux scsi disk as I'd like to remove the Irix disk from the
system for re-use elsewhere.

Is there any way to do this using just linux?  Or do I need to repartition
and have a tiny Irix partition to boot from?

Thanks,
-Kurt