Building crossdevel tools

I decided to build all the tools by myself, just to see what is going on.
I followed instructions on http://lena.fnet.fr/build.html. My i386
development machine is running Slink. I unpacked sources of
binutils-2.9.1.0.19a and gcc-2.7.2.3. I configured binutils using
./configure --target=mipsel-linuxelf and have build them without any
problems. Instructions for configuring gcc are the same, but gcc's config
apparently doesn't know target mipsel-linuxelf, but works with
mips-mipsel-linuxelf. Is that right?

Also, I do not know, what package of binutils from ftp.rfc822.org should I
use if I want to avoid doing the above build. And what 'symbol versioning'
stands for?

Radim