Re: debian-mips on cobalt hardware

On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 02:11:04AM -0500, Nathaniel Irons wrote:
> I'm looking into buying the Cobalt Qube2, originally under the theory
> that I could safely limp along with their webby admin system for a while
> while I get my bearings running a box, and eventually replace their
> weird, customized, somewhat elderly kernel and configuration with a more
> current distribution.
>
> That plan predates my having read over materials such as:
>
> a)  www.linux.sgi.com ("The Cobalt Qube support has never been
>     integrated into the official Linux/MIPS 2.1.x kernels"),

This is correct - But i think cobalt published their changes along
with their Kernels. These are 2.0 kernels but depending
on How much time you have you might try to integrate those
into 2.3 kernels ...

>     (<http://ftp.cobaltnet.com/lists/cobalt-users/msg07124.html>),
>
> c)  and the near-total lack of any cobalt discussion in Debian's mailing
>     list archives.
>
> Did I miss anything?  Is it reasonable to ever hope to install a
> functional debian on this apparently-bastard hardware?

Fundamentals: AFAIK The cobalts are Little endian - That means
you need the same port as the Siemens RMxxx and/or Decstations.

Probably you will be happy running a Cobalt Kernel and using
the Debian user space bins. Hopefully we will have a glibc 2.1.2
before Christmas.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is