glibc debian source package offer

Hi,
currently i am not working further on the glibc but i want to give
others the chance of doing so - So here is a small description of what
i did, what is needed and where the problems are - So probably someone
else with more experience in building debian packages and/or more
time builds a correct source package of it - I would be very glad.

Ok - I based my work on the slink glibc 2.0.7-19981211.

lftp ftp.rfc822.org:/pub/local/debian/debian/experimental/glibc> ls -la
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        24984 Nov  6 01:40 diff-try2
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       258216 Nov  6 01:40 glibc-2.0.7-mips-base
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       279316 Nov  6 01:40 glibc-2.0.7-mips.patch
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         3059 Nov  6 01:40 glibc-2.0.7-mips2.patch
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          436 Nov  6 01:40 sunrpc-Makefile-diff
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         1691 Nov  6 01:40 time-Makefile-diff

Here are my patches - Short description:

glibc-2.0.7-mips.patch and glibc-2.0.7-mips2.patch are
the two needed glibc packages. mips2 is a patch for
threading (clone assembler call).

The glibc-2.0.7-mips.patch has some fundamental bugs - It creates some
files which lets fail other glibc contained patches because
an .rej or .orig is created within the patch. I cleaned up the patch
and build the glibc-2.0.7-mips-base patch from it. The mips2 patch
applies mostly clean.

The diff-try2 mostly has some simple additions to the debian dir and
some cleanups already contained in mips-base so dont apply this more
or less see this as an description of what to change in the debian tree.

Now the difficult part where i found no easy solution. During
the build of the glibc 2 tools are build - "zic" and "rpcgen" which
get used during the build. Due to the different glibc these tools
segfault when linked against the freshly built glibc.

My solution would be to link the resulting tools twice. Once against
the "normal" glibc and once against the fresh build. Then we are
able to execute them. This is NOT enough if you cross-compile.
Then you need to build those tools with the native compiler
so you need to compile the whole utils twice. My workaround
was to take the RedHat (boot filesystem) zic and rpcgen (Changed
paths in the makefile during build - These are the patches)

If you tweak a bit here and there you will afterwards have some
glibc package.

I would very much like to see a glibc source package so if anyone
has got the time to work on it - Go on ...

If anyone is able to clean up a bit and or only does parts - Publish
and probably upload your diffs to ftp://ftp.rfc822.org/incoming
so once a dozen people have done a bit we have a working source package :)

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is