Re: Where do I start??

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 11:38:16PM -0600, Stephen Hitchner wrote:
> Hi,
> Right now I have an old Indy sitting around, and a interest in helping
> port linux to it.  How do I start?? Are there any books/references that
> would be good to read?????????   At this moment the stuff that is passed
> on through the mailing is lost way over my head...but I want that to
> change = )

Have you ot ANY image you are able to boot ?

If not - Get anything what might boot on it - Probably the Redhat
for mips ... Ralf Baechle has done a lot packages for big endian mips
i think.

If you are that far - Get a working compiler/binutils (Might be difficult)
I have good experiences with egcs 1.0.3a + mips patches + binutils 2.8.1
+ mips patches. The binutils fail on some packages so i am compiling
the failing ones with binutils CVS snapshot from anoncvs.cygnus.com
(I use snapshort 991025) ...

Then there is a LOT to fake and hack ... First - Get dpkg source
package and extract it by hand (tar/patch) - Build the dpkg
(Dselect will fail probably) - Install dpkg and all the surrounding
perl script (dpkg-source, dpkg-xyz) in the appropriate places
(Compare to your i386 debian system).

After that try to extract packages and to compile them ...

dpkg-source -x <package>.dsc && cd package && dpkg-buildpackage -b

This will fail for most packages in the first run .. But one after another
they will compile. I installed them into the RedHat aka HardHat distribution
immediatly after i compiled them because then those utilitys are available.

BTW: Your architecture is "mips" mine is "mipsel" for little endian ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is