Re: Linux on an SGI Challenge L (fwd)

Forwarded message:
> From owner-linux-smp-outgoing@vger.rutgers.edu Fri Dec 11 00:55:02 1998
> From: olson@anchor.engr.sgi.com (Dave Olson)
> Subject: Re: Linux on an SGI Challenge L
> To: sparker@taz.cs.utah.edu (Steven G. Parker)
> Date: 	Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:21:47 -0800 (PST)
> Cc: ralf@uni-koblenz.de, andrewb@uab.edu, linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu,
>         linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> Sender: owner-linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu
>
> Steven G. Parker wrote:
> |  On Dec 10,  4:36pm, ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> |  > > Anyone care to make any comments on porting Linux to an SGI Challenge L
> |  > > machine w/ (4) R4400 processors?  Am I crazy to even attempt this?
> |  >
> |  > You're not crazy, after all Linux is already running on bigger iron and
> |  > about to run on Sun's E10000.  However you should checkout again what
> |  > hardware you actually have on your system.  A Challenge L is mostly like
> |  > an Indy (which is supported), that is strictly uniprocessor.  So
> |  > your system either is not a multiprocessor system or not a Challenge L.
> |
> |  Actually, the Indy system is a Challenge S.  The Indigo^2 system is
> |  a Challenge M.   The Challenge L is the desk-side system and can indeed
> |  support multiple processors.
> |
> |  I can only comment on the model line - not on whether you are crazy or not :)
>
> The hardware is radically different.  The only shared item is the cpu,
> and even it's used in a fairly different way.  indy w/o graphics as
> challenge S, etc. is strictly a marketing idea.
>
> It's clearly doable, but you need a whole new set of hardware specs.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Hmmm......

> Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics
> http://reality.sgi.com/olson   olson@sgi.com
> -
> Linux SMP list: FIRST see FAQ at http://www.irisa.fr/prive/mentre/smp-faq/

 Kumsup Lee (À̱ݼ·) 				 System/Network Administrator
 Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota
 400 Lind Hall,   207 Church Street S.E.,   Minneapolis, MN 55455   USA
 Tel : 612-624-4353	FAX : 612-626-7370	PAGE : 612-608-0112
 klee@ima.umn.edu	www.ima.umn.edu/~klee