Re: Uscan no longer works with GitLab tags

On Wednesday, April 3, 2024 1:00:28 AM MST Mike Gabriel wrote:

> The appmenu-gtk-module code is a subfolder in upstream

> vala-panel-appmenu (subprojects/appmenu-gtk-module) and that subfolder

> was packaged as a separate src:pkg in Debian at the time when it got

> introduced.

> For this the upstream maintainer provides appmenu-gtk-module as a

> separate tarball  for download at [1].

> So the watch file should achieve downloading this exact tarball, i.e.

> https://gitlab.com/vala-panel-project/vala-panel-appmenu/uploads/6c0332e34c41e

> 99de5a1db1fc4239de2/appmenu-gtk-module-24.02.tar.xz

> Only chew on this if you really want to nut-crack it. I have burnt

> quite a few brain cells on it yesterday and failed (which does not

> mean you will also, but be warned, the solution does not seem trivial,

> however, maybe it is).

That is indeed complex as the tarball is only available as an upload the developer has manually added to GitLab and not as one of the standard release tarballs generated by GitLab.

If GitLab weren’t being a punk and would present the same HTML a browser gets to uscan (or wget) when pulling up:

https://gitlab.com/vala-panel-project/vala-panel-appmenu/-/releases

it would be easy.  But GitLab is presenting what amounts to a login screen to uscan instead.

You might be able to resolve the situation by switching to using Git to download a tag and then producing a tarball locally from that, but I don’t know how to have uscan produce a tarball from just a subdirectory in Git.  Perhaps one of the people who are currently advocating using git instead of pre-packaged tarballs on devian-devel would have an idea of how to do that.

--

Soren Stoutner

soren@debian.org