Version changing while there is an opened RFS

Hello,

I intent to adopt pidgin-skype package.
The package version is based on last upstream Git main branch commit, to keep same versioning the package has already.

To successfully enable hardening, I created a patch I contributed upstream by opening a pull request.
The pull request was merged some hours after.

What should I do now?
Continue with the same version using the patch?
Bump new version and in this case, should I only change the actual version in debian/changelog or create a new version to change upstream version and keep the version the RFS is opened for?

Thanks and best regards,
--
Patrick ZAJDA