Re: filename case policy inside /usr/bin ?

On 2023-01-16 at 15:04, Fab Stz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any policy for the filename case for the executables
> installed in /usr/bin ? Most are lowercase.
>
> The package I maintain uses mixed uppercase & lowercase. For example:
>  /usr/bin/FreeFileSync

I'm not aware of any specific policy just offhand, and I'm certainly not
an expert or an authority, but:

$ apt-file search /usr/bin/ | grep [A-Z] | wc -l
2094

There appear to be *rather a lot* of files under /usr/bin/ whose names
include uppercase letters...

$ apt-file search /usr/bin/ | grep [A-Z] | cut -d ':' -f 1 | uniq -c | wc -l
524

...and also rather a lot of packages which include such files.

My guess is that this would be just fine.

> Please, leave me in copy of your answer.

In turn, please do not reply to me directly, only via the list. (Unless
you specifically want to draw my attention to that specific message, and
you think I won't get, or will miss noticing, the message otherwise.)

--
   The Wanderer