Re: autopkgtest and generated files

Xiyue Deng <manphiz@gmail.com> writes:

> (I'm not subscribed to the list so please keep me CCed.)
>
> Hi Debian mentors,
>
> I encountered a behavior difference between the package test during
> building and in autopkgtest.  When attempting to fix a emacs-wgrep FTBFS
> bug[1], I added a new file through a patch[2] to the package which
> should be used during the test phase.  This works as expected during
> package building[3] phase (which actually uses the dh_elpa_test but else
> should behave the same as dh_auto_test).  But during autopkgtest it
> doesn't find the new file I added and fails[4] even though it was
> running the same command as the building test phase.
>
> It was suggested to me that autopkgtest doesn't take generated files
> into account.  Is this true?  If so this looks like a limitation of
> autopkgtest.  I wonder whether there is anyway to workaround this
> restriction, or to disable autopkgtest that prevents the migration of
> the package[5] as this is a false positive.
>
> TIA.
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1057559
> [2] https://salsa.debian.org/emacsen-team/emacs-wgrep/-/commit/62bc99d768bcb290612b834c668f131e9f5b53f0
> [3] https://paste.debian.net/1301172/  (the test phase log)
> [4] https://ci.debian.net/packages/e/emacs-wgrep/testing/amd64/41007238/
> [5] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/emacs-wgrep
>
> --
> Xiyue Deng

So it turns out that this is not an autopkgtest issue at all, but that
the package has a debian/elpa-test file[1] that specifies which files
should be kept for autopkgtest, and I should just add the newly
generated file to the list and problem solved!  And now I feel silly..

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/emacsen-team/emacs-wgrep/-/blob/master/debian/elpa-test

--
Xiyue Deng