Re: Mysterious uscan problem

On 2023-10-31 04:57 +0000, Phil Wyett wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-10-31 at 04:23 +0000, Wookey wrote:
> > uscan is doing something very strange with version numbers and I
> > don't understand what's going on.
> >
> > However, whilst it now finds the current v3.5.0 it insists that the
> > version number is 3.5.0.3.5.0
> > So it downloads mbedtls-3.5.0.tar.gz but symlinks it as
> > mbedtls_3.5.0.3.5.0.orig.tar.gz
> > and then proceeds to put 3.5.0.3.5.0 for the version everywhere,
> > which is clearly wrong.
> >
> > This is my watch file:
> > version=4
> > opts="searchmode=plain, \
> >   filenamemangle=s%v?@ANY_VERSION@%mbedtls-$1\.tar\.gz%, \
> >   pgpmode=none" \
> > https://api.github.com/repos/Mbed-TLS/mbedtls/tags \
> > https://api.github.com/repos/Mbed-TLS/mbedtls/tarball/refs/tags/v(@ANY_VERSION@)
> >  debian uupdate

> First change last line ending from:
> v(@ANY_VERSION@) debian uupdate
> to:
> v?@ANY_VERSION@ debian uupdate
>
> and check results.

OK. And that indeed fixes the problem. Thank you sir!

But why? I thought brackets in regexes (this is a regex, right?) were
just for saving matches into parameters. Why does it make the version number double-up in this case?

(I see the brackets are only there because I changed this from an
earlier version. They are not in the modern example for Github on the
wiki any more)

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM