Re: mentors.debian.net, debexpo & dput

Hi Geert,

On Wed, 2023-10-25 at 22:49 +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Is it debexpo that makes it possible that users
> can `dput` to mentors?
>
> Webpage https://wiki.debian.org/Debexpo doesn't tell
> and I'm not sure if mentors.debian.net is a destination
> for `dput`.

Debexpo is the software running on mentors.debian.net. It is written in
Python using the Django framework. It has many moving parts, including:

- The web interface
- A source package repository
- A read-only GPG keyserver
- An importer, that process packages
- Some QA plugins
- An API

Aside from that, we are running a FTP service on the server. (that we
are looking to retire)

Dput and dput-ng are tools that upload packages using supported
protocols (FTP, HTTPS, SSH, ...). As long as you have a target defined
in their configuration that support those protocol, you can upload
packages there.

Regarding mentors, both dput [1] and dput-ng [2] have a default FTP
configuration for mentors.

Moreover, on the Maintainer page [3] on mentors show the configuration
required for the HTTPS and FTP, the former being used by almost
everyone.

In conclusion, yes, mentors.debian.net is a valid dput destination, and
one can upload with:

dput -f mentors package.changes

And yes, debexpo receive the package, process it, run some QA tools and
makes it available to its source-only package repository.

[1]: https://sources.debian.org/src/dput/1.1.3/dput.cf/?hl=91#L91
[2]:
https://sources.debian.org/data/main/d/dput-ng/1.37/skel/profiles/mentors.json#L7
[3]: https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers/