Re: gbp import-orig: how to choose compression (xz)

On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 19:24:37 +0100
Andrey Rakhmatullin <wrar@wrar.name> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 06:02:34PM +0100, Lorenzo wrote:
> > Hello mentors,
> >
> > I want to import a new svn snapshot to update a Debian package,
> > the salsa git repo is already configured for gbp, so I did
> >
> > $ gbp import-orig -u1.5+svn38408 ../upstreamsvn/mplayer
> >
> > upstream/mplayer is a directory with the unpacked svn checkout.
> > Gbp creates a ../upstreamsvn/mplayer_1.5+svn38408.orig.tar.gz
> > archieve (not a tar.xz); it also uses tar.gz in the pristine-tar
> > branch.
> As far as I can see this is not configurable, all locally-repacked
> tarballs are repacked as .tar.gz.

Yes, by looking at gbp.conf(5) and manpages of other gbp-* I couldn't
find an option to control the compression type when importing a new
upstream snapshot.
As a workaround it seems that if I compress manually as tar.xz and then
feed the archive to gbp import-orig the xz format is kept. However I
prefer to let gbp handle all steps.

> > One problem with the tar.gz is that debian/gbp.conf has
> > compression = xz
> So this configuration is wrong ad you need to change it.
I didn't write in my previous message, but the watch file of this
project looks for a tar.xz when downloading a new upstream release.
I'm going to try
compression = auto
in the hope that it works both for tar.xz releases and
tar.gz snapshots.

> > so when I push to salsa the salsa-ci fails because it searches for a
> > tar.xz archieve
> (I'm still surprised that people apparently don't build locally, only
> on salsa-ci)
(I build locally with sbuild and use salsa-ci for piuparts and other
tests)

Lorenzo