should postrm script purge system-users?

Dear mentors list,

a package that I maintain[1] creates a new system-user and -group ("caddy") and creates a homedirectory in /var/lib/caddy upon installation[2] intended for the systemd service file.

When purging the package, all of these are currently left on the system.

It was suggested to me that the not only the directories, but also user and group should be removed.[3] but i am unsure if purging even users from the system could maybe a bad idea, because they still might be owners of other files on the system?

The debian wiki and policy only covers removal of files/dirs and does not seem to mention the handling of system users..

Peymaneh

ps: please keep me in CC, i am not member of the list

---
[1] https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/caddy/
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/caddy/-/blob/debian/sid/dist/scripts/postinstall.sh
[3] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1022260