Re: doubts about debian/copyrights

On Sat, 2022-10-22 at 15:59 +0200, Fabio Fantoni wrote:

> Which would be the best tool(s) to get a good starting debian/copyright
> and decrease the time it takes to complete and fix it?

Allegedly scancode is the best option for that, but it isn't in Debian.
I think decopy/licensecheck are the best ones already in Debian.

https://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReviewTools
https://github.com/nexB/scancode-toolkit/

Personally I afterwards manually review each file and check all of the
details, since the Debian archive admins will be doing that anyway.
I find that a keyboard-driven file manager like mc works for this.

> decopy spotted one file (usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/96/miro.svg) with
> license "CC-BY", I tried a search for found the specific license used
> but I not found, in mint-theme instead for example about a license doubt
> I went to look for the origin and I found it and solved it
> (https://salsa.debian.org/cinnamon-team/mint-themes/-/commit/dcf71951df39f326ea9057d39095f7e94926bf19),
> regarding this file, however, the site mentioned inside no longer exists
> and therefore I have not found a certain answer.

All the sites mentioned in that commit work for me:

https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird
https://shimmerproject.org/

> there are also some other files with "creative common" found inside it
> with a grep but that was not spotted by decopy and also in these there
> aren't details on the exact license

Might be worth filing bugs on decopy about these missing detections.

As Andrew says, best ask upstream about any unclear licenses.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise