Re: Self dependent package, build profiles and buildd servers

Hi Wookey,

> As Paul says, build profiles will not help here if you have to do this
> _every time_ you build the package, as opposed to doing it once, then
> using that to build the real package the first time in order to get it
> ready for the archive. i.e. build profiles are for bootstrapping, and the
> results do not end up in the archive.

> The normal way to fix this in Debian is for the debian build to run
> the build twice, using the components built on the first run for the
> second run. Can you do this easily, or do they have to be installed in
> system paths to work?

> You can also have the debian build run the build twice, one producing
> pkg-A and one producing pkg-B, so that both end up in the
> archive. Binutils is an example of a package that does this (building
> both native and cross versions).

Ok I just tried this by adding dependent targets in d/rules. It was a bit
tricky to do so as to still use dh at the same time but it seems to work.
Thanks for putting me on the way.

However, what is actually the difference between the two alternatives you
mention? Build twice vs build twice the binutils way ?

The d/rules actually configures/builds first the host-build, which I'm able to
use directly in the configuration parameters when configuring/building the
android-build (which is the second build performed automatically).
In the end, this produces pkgA & pkgB binary packages all with a single dpkg-
buildpackage run.

Rgds
Fab