Re: Package does not show up and no REJECT e-mail

On Sun, 2022-08-28 at 01:58 +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

> > > No, your source package is named "swift".
> > So then maybe I did it all correctly to have my package named "swiftlang"
> > and my
> > upstream named "swift"? It took me a while to get the build tools to be
> > happy so
> > I thought I must have.
> You didn't, as, like as I said and the quote line proves, your source
> package name is "swift".

I renamed the upstream to "swiftlang" and uploaded to Mentors again, but still
nothing 22 hours later. If anyone can help me figure out why that would be
appreciated, if not then I'll just have to get along without it.

> > > This is wrong as well, see
> > > https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#binaries
> >
> > I had to read that policy a few times, but now I see that I am not allowed
> > use the "conflicts" mechanism is this situation. My "swift" binary is
> > actually
> > just a symbolic link to "swift-frontend", but it is the main mechanism by
> > which
> > the compiler and REPL is called. Also, "swiftc" is also a symbolic link to
> > that
> > same "swift-frontend" so it might be possible to simply drop "swift" and
> > depend
> > on "swiftc" which would then only be an issue for people trying to follow
> > documentation that tells then to run the "swift" command. Should I now reach
> > out
> > to debian-devel to ask about it?
> You can try that, yes, but generally it should be an upstream decision.

I'm certain that upstream won't rename their "swift" binary/link, but I have
asked about using "switfc" instead to see if there is any problem not having
"swift" available. Sylvestre Ledru has kindly agreed to sponsor this package so
I will work with him on how to best address this naming conflict issue and any
other policy issues that I need to clean up.

Thank you for your help.
-Steve