Debian watch file and GitLab for Autotools projects?

Hello,

I have a package hosted on GitLab and am trying to modify my Debian package's watch file to follow the releases as I tag/upload them there. I've read through the GitLab related details for the watch file here: https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch, but am still having problems.

The project is using ./autogen.sh to generate the configure scripts, et al for the project. When I got to tag and create a release, I have to upload the resulting tarball with the resulting configure scripts embedded. Now, I can do this so I have a permanent link to the archive by using the GitLab API and using curl to upload the archive. The resulting URL would be something similar to:
    releases/@ANY_VERSION@/downloads/dist-gzip/<project-name>-\d\S*@ARCHIVE_EXT@

However, because how GitLab pages are composed; the original https://gitlab.com/<user>/<project>/tags?sort=updated_desc doesn't include my permanent URL on that page, and using a different base URL for getting the releases page isn't containing any links as it uses javascript to fetch a Json file.

Using watch with git tags yields the same thing (snapshot of the source code, not the release tarball). I could use the GitLab API and fetch a JSON file, but I can't figure out to make that work with the watch file.

Does anyone have any suggestion to use the watch file with GitLab and custom release tarballs?

Regards,
- Eivind