Re: Guidance for returning contributors

On Tue, 2022-08-30 at 03:56 -0400, Matt Arnold wrote:

> Guidance for returning contributors

We unfortunately don't have a general guide on this topic, but it might
be worth writing one if you are keeping notes on the process.

> My question is how would i now contribute this back?

Every team is different, but indeed GitHub/GitLab style workflows have
taken over many teams. Once you have a salsa account, you can either
use the web based workflows, or use the `salsa` command from devscripts
to do the same thing from the command-line. You will need to register a
auth token for the `salsa` command first though. There are also other
tools/libraries for accessing GitLab APIs in Debian, but the primary
one is not yet available in Debian.

https://about.gitlab.com/partners/technology-partners/#cli-clients

PS: the one for GitHub is available in Debian as `gh` and it is great.

> The situation is I recently had to prepare a new upstream version of
> a package in Debian for a client minetest to 5.6.0.
>    For example would it be considered rude to just send a cleaned up
> version to games team mailing list with git-send-email. Or party like
> it's 2009 and file a bug report with a debdiff.

There has been some discussion of minetest 5.6.0 on the IRC channel
recently, and also another returning DD interested in it on the list.
Also a non-DD got minetest updated via a non-games-team RFS in April.

https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/CAJxTCxxYMpLmOM+LHhTOSnbnPp6ir87G2pPdaCAf2HoxQutaHw@mail.gmail.com
https://bugs.debian.org/1006832
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/Yhglc0bFzC1B6LPB@strider

So I think I would start by sending a mail to the games list
and clicking the join button on the team salsa page.

>    Also I might be getting ahead of myself here, but what are the best
> practices regarding PGP/GPG. I currently have a DD-signed 2048 bit RSA
> key. Do I need to upgrade if i get back into this seriously. The only
> DDs i know are in Ireland, DC, NZ, and NYC and getting any of those
> places in person is cost prohibitive atm.

I think this key strength is still accepted, although a larger key or
an ECC key might be better in the long run, and OpenPGPv5 is coming:

https://debconf22.debconf.org/talks/71-sequoia-pgp-v5-openpgp-authentication-and-debian/

There are Debian folks offering key signing in many other places:

https://wiki.debian.org/Keysigning/Offers

Attending the annual Debian conference (or other events) is also a good
way to get signatures. The next DebConf is in India in September 2023
and there is usually travel/etc funding available to contributors.

In addition, key endorsements are now an alternative to key signing:

https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/20201108205109.6nzboemjkr5ik2ck@enricozini.org

--
bye,
pabs