Guidance for returning contributors

Hi Mentors:

  Sorry for the vague subject, but I have several questions that don't fit neatly into a subject line. The situation is I recently had to prepare a new upstream version of a package in Debian for a client minetest to 5.6.0. I haven't touched Debian packaging in 7.5 years or so. And I was last really active around 2011-12ish. But somehow i retain enough skill such that i can still do Debian Packaging work semi correctly. My question is how would i now contribute this back? Getting a salsa account is easy enough.  But I'm wondering is it basically a github style workflow now. I can cope but that's not my preferred way of working. And the thing about the old way is it accommodated idiosyncrasy, and eccentricity. Do we still do that?

  For example would it be considered rude to just send a cleaned up version to games team mailing list with git-send-email. Or party like it's 2009 and file a bug report with a debdiff.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

  Also I might be getting ahead of myself here, but what are the best practices regarding PGP/GPG. I currently have a DD-signed 2048 bit RSA key. Do I need to upgrade if i get back into this seriously. The only DDs i know are in Ireland, DC, NZ, and NYC and getting any of those places in person is cost prohibitive atm.

Thanks

/Matt