Re: symbols-File for Library

Hi Marc,

Em qui., 11 de ago. de 2022 às 09:22, Marc Haber
<mh+debian-mentors@zugschlus.de> escreveu:

> Hi,
>
> my package gensio, which generates a library package, has recently
> thrown a few lintian warnings regarding missing symbols files. I read
> the wiki page and the manual page of dpkg-gensymbols and had
> dpkg-gensymbols generate a debian/libgensio0.symbols file, added the
> Build-Depends-Package line and did the mentioned conversions regarding
> C++ libraries.
>
> Still, the build on i386 fails since the symbols file looks different on
> i386 than it does on amd64. See
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/gensio/-/jobs/3093727
>
> The repository can be inspected at
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/gensio/-/tree/master
>
> I guess this behavior is expected since you can have symbols file per
> arch as debian/libgensio0.symbols.$ARCH. But how do I generate those?
>
> Do I really need to build on all arches and/or guess what's needed in
> the arch-dependent symbol file from the logs of failed buildd runs? This
> looks like an awful lot of work that has to be repeated for every
> upstream update?

I suggest uploading new upstream releases to experimental to know the
behavior in each architecture. For MISSING lines, an easy fix is to
exclude the fault architectures. E.g. to exclude i386 and x32:

(arch=!i386 !x32)(c++)"gensios::gensio_cpp_vlog_handler(gensios::gensio_os_funcs*,
gensios::gensio_log_levels, char const*, __va_list_tag*)@Base"

Cheers,

Eriberto