Re: The purpose of marking a package Multi-Arch: foreign

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 12:56:38PM -0500, Tong Sun wrote:
> I guess I don't understand the concept and implication of Debian's
> cross built, as I see that easygen is being cross built without
> 'Multi-Arch: foreign', yet golang-github-danverbraganza-varcaser-dev
> is not, despite having the 'Multi-Arch: foreign' .

Reading your words, I think your first step should be to look up the
concept of "cross builds" and what that means and implies (as opposed to
what you normally use and know, that are "native builds"), as I don't
think you understand what that is.

I don't think trying to understand the concept of cross-satisfable
dependencies and the limitation imposed by the model used by dpkg (and
as such why the Multi-Arch field is needed at all) is useful before
that.

> https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=easygen vs.
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=golang-github-danverbraganza-varcaser

These are not cross builds: buildd.d.o only does native builds.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :