Re: debian folder and version control system repository

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 2:00 PM Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Packaging help: users and directories
>
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 01:03:52PM +0100, Robin Gustafsson wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 12:35 PM Gavin Henry wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > Is it best practice to have:
> > >
> > > 1. debian folder in your main repo
> > > 2. debian folder branch in main repo
> > > 3. Separate repo for this
> >
> > A separate repo hosted on salsa.debian.org.
>
> ?
>
> as "Why pointing to salsa?"
>

> Options  2. and 3. are both OK.  Document the location with `Vcs-Browser:`
> and `Vcs-...:` in debian/control.
> [...]

Absolutely, both are OK. My impression is that Salsa is best practice,
but not the only good practice. I'm sure different situations warrant
different decisions.

To expand on that, I think Salsa is a fine choice in general, and
especially for new maintainers to collaborate with sponsors and to get
help from tools like the Salsa CI pipeline.

Regards,
Robin