Re: Debian/watch file does not ignore beta version

On 6/25/21 3:32 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 10:01 PM Hilmar Preuße wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for late Reply!

uversionmangle=s/(\d)[_\.\-\+]?((RC|rc|pre|dev|beta|alpha)\d*)$/$1~$2/,\
According to [1] the entry "uversionmangle=..." should handle the case
that there could be beta/rc versions, which should be ignored. When
doing an uscan now it downloads happily version v1.3.8rc1, which is
available from upstream, instead of the expected 1.3.7b.

Using uscan --verbose helps diagnose the issue:

It is on:

https://pastebin.com/ncjU2fpU

uversionmangle just adds the ~ character into rc versions in the right
place, it doesn't make the matched versions disappear. Since there is
no v1.3.8 tag yet, the latest tag v1.3.8rc1 gets assigned version
1.3.8~rc1, which is later than the 1.3.7b version.

OK, understood.

There are two ways to make the rc versions disappear:

Make the version matching regex ignore them.

I guess this will be the pattern in the last line:

  https://github.com/proftpd/proftpd/tags .*/v?(\d\S+)\.tar\.gz

I'll try to fix it.

Make uversionmangle change their versions so they are earlier than all
the other versions.

Not sure how to do that.

Personally I would do neither of these and instead start uploading
beta/rc versions to experimental, you can get valuable feedback from
CI/users this way that can then feed back upstream to fix any issues
before the final release.

Currently I'm busy enough to care about unstable, stable etc. Packaging
experimental is a very good idea but currently far out of my scope.

Hilmar

PS: I suggest using mode=git, because the GitHub tags pages are
paginated, cutting off older versions.

Failed to use it correctly, will have a look at that later. Anway the
pastebin shows that uscan goes far enough into the past. Thanks for the
hint!

--
#206401 http://counter.li.org