Re: Doubt on debian/changelog version history

On Sun, 2021-04-25 at 09:37 +0200, José Luis Blanco-Claraco wrote:
> I'm the upstream author and Debian maintainer of a package, and after
> uploading a couple of versions to different releases (unstable and
> experimental), now I'm unsure about what should be the *order* of the
> different changelog entries in a forthcoming release to experimental,
> I'm sure you'll be able to quickly solve my doubt.

What is the relation between the different versions?

If they are separate branches (2.1.X in unstable now to be replaced by
2.2.X currently in unstable), it might also be correct to just not
merge the changelog at all.

Otherwise it shouldn't matter too much as long as all changes in the
changelog happened (e.g., for all bugs mentioned as closed in the
changelog the relevant changes should be included).

There is `dpkg-mergechangelogs` in the dpkg-dev package which Git can
be configured to use to handle d/changelog; it will merge the
changelogs sorted by version number.

However that ordering is not always used: for example backported
packages will usually have a lower version as the top entry in
d/changelog (1.2.3-4 followed by 1.2.3-4~bpo11u1).

> Extra question: How is a port from experimental to unstable supposed
> to happen? Making a new upload with a new changelog entry?

Yes.

Ansgar